Welcome to Faces of Freedom. This project began in July of 2019 to express gratitude to, and honor the sacrifices and service of US Military veterans and their families. The project uses black and white portraits and oral histories, as told by each veteran, to help connect a face with a personal story. Each story captures not only their recollections of their time in the service, but also their memories of their childhood, their life after the military and what it meant to each of them to be part of something bigger than themselves and to be in the service of others.
Each veteran has received a framed black and white photo and a copy of their story as they told it. As of 2018, only 7% of the US adult population has made those sacrifices so the other 93%, the civilians, can go about enjoying their lives in peace and freedom. This will give you some insight into the Americans who have selflessly provided the blanket of freedom we wrap ourselves in each night.
Not everyone led the charge, flew behind enemy lines or cleared the room, but everyone has a story.
"A picture's worth a thousand words but you can't see what those shades of gray keep covered. You should've seen it in color." In Color by Jamey Johnson